The Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza!
The hardest part of this great event is actually picking a recipe. In years past I have pretty much waited until the last day or two to make up my mind. This year was not an exception, however, one cannot complain when the result is the best chocolate cake in the world sitting on my table.
Okay, I am sure there is a better cake out there, but this one really is quite lovely — I wouldn’t be sharing it with you if it wasn’t. I have used it for birthdays and just because, and always get compliments from others. I’m sure it would go well with a cup of coffee in the morning… and a
small piece after lunch would be a wonderful treat… not that I know anything about that… ahem.
I asked my kids for a review.
Oldest… “It is perfect!” (*smug look*)
Youngest… “It is too chocolaty.” (*gasp* Impossible!)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup of hot, strong coffee (or hot water)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9in round baking pans. (I put parchment paper in the bottom of mine).
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and mix for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in coffee. It will be thin.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before you try to remove from the pans.
If you are looking for a good icing, this is absolutely my favorite.
Here is a list of all the other bloggers participating, I do hope you take the time to check them out. Also, a special thanks for Jz for putting in the work to make this happen — you’re awesome.